Scoil Fhoirtcheirn agus Fhinin Naofa, Myshall was opened in 1955, the new extension was blessed and officially opened by Bishop Patrick Lennon in 1981. It is a Catholic co-educational seven teacher school, comprising of five mainstream teachers, a resource teacher, 2 part-time SNAs and a learning support teacher. The Board of Management (BOM) employs a school secretary, a caretaker, a school cleaner and seasonal employees to cater for and maintain the school grounds and building.
Other than the ancillary staff members, the Department of Education and Science (DES) determines the number of staff members that the school may employ on an annual basis. The BOM is dependent on the allocation of various grants by the DES to provide services that the school requires. The school is dependent on the allocation of various grants and on the other resources as provided by the DES. The BOM is responsible for the prudent use of the school’s resources within the regulations as prescribed by the DES from time to time. Scoil Fhoirtcheirn agus Fhinin Naofa adopts the procedures and practices governing the enrolment of Pupils in Primary Schools as expressed in the Rules for National School, Government legislation including Education Act (1998) and Education Welfare Act (2000) and circulars of the DES.
The school is governed by A Board of Management under the patronage of the Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin. The school seeks to promote an ethos, which reflects Christian teaching and values, and promotes an atmosphere of tolerance and respect for differing views and beliefs. The school’s aim is the integration and development of each child physically, socially, culturally and educationally from the day the child starts to the day he/she leaves. Taking into consideration the age, abilities and individual needs of all, we encourage children to participate in as many activities as possible, e.g. School sports, outings, music and drama, swimming lessons, quizzes, artistic competitions etc.